Serves – 4 ramekin dishes/ small bowls
Total time – 30mins (preparation – 15 mins + baking – 15mins)
Eggs 2 medium
Lemon Juice 1 1/2 tbsp (quantity of lemons depends on the size of the lemons)
Powdered Sugar 1/4 cup
All-purpose flour 1tbsp + 1/2 tbsp (if needed)
Icing sugar for dusting (optional)
For greasing the Ramekin dish –
Butter (melted) 1 tbsp
Powdered Sugar 1 tbsp
- Preheat your oven to 180C.
- Prepare your ramekin dishes/bowls –
– Grease them nicely with the melted butter. Remove the excess butter.
– Sprinkle powdered sugar on top of the butter, making sure to cover the sides of the dish as well.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and reduce to a simmer to serve as a double broiler.
- Separate the egg whites and egg yolks.
- In a clean bowl, beat together the egg whites and 1/8 cup (half of the mentioned amount) sugar, until soft peaks form and hold their form. Be careful not to overbeat.
- In a heat-proof bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, remaining sugar (1/8 cup), lemon juice, and 1 tbsp flour, until a smooth mixture is formed, 1-2 minutes.
- Place the bowl over the simmering water. Whisk continuously until very thick – you will get a custard type consistency. If the mix doesn’t seem to thicken, add the leftover 1/2tbsp of flour. Don’t stop whisking, else the egg will start cooking.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and let it cool down. If you add the egg whites to the hot mix, the meringue will melt. Keep whisking continuously.
- Once the egg yolk mixture is cool enough, fold in 1/3 of the meringue very gently to loosen up the custard mixture, scraping from the sides. Then gently fold in the remaining mixture.
- With a spoon, fill your prepared dishes a little below the rim, leaving space for them to rise.
- Bake in the preheated oven for around 15 mins, or until golden brown on top.
- Dust it with icing sugar and serve hot. The Souffle settles really fast.