Serves – 4 – 5 big bowls
Total time – 1 hour 20 mins (Preparation – 15mins, Cooking time – 45mins, Rest – 20mins)
For the Stock
Green beans 7-8
Celery 2- 3 stalks
Tomato 7-8 large
Pumpkin/ Gourd 100 gm
Water 7 cups
For the Soup
Vegetables* 2 tbsp each, finely chopped
(French beans, Carrot, Cauliflower, Cabbage,
Capsicum, Tomato Pieces)
Macaroni ½ cup boiled
Barley** 2 tbsp boiled
Tomato sauce 3 tbsp
Butter/olive oil 2 tbsp
Salt, pepper & Rosemary to taste
- Prepare the stock –
Chop all the veggies for the stock roughly, add to a big pot, add the water and cook on slow for 30min. Or add everything to a pressure cooker and keep on low heat after one whistle, for 10mins. Let it cool for 15-20mins. Then churn & sieve to use in the soup.
- In a heavy bottom pot, add the butter/olive oil and saute all the vegetables, except the tomato pieces.
- Pour the stock over the veggies.
- Add cooked barley, macaroni, tomato sauce, tomato pieces, salt, pepper, and rosemary.
- Serve hot with grated cheese/ cubes of paneer (cottage cheese)/ chopped spring onion.
* You can adjust the quantities and choice of vegetables according to your liking.
** If you don’t have barley, you can use kidney beans/ black beans/ white beans.