Total time – 30mins (25mins cooking time + 5mins preparation time)
Cauliflower 1 medium head (around 250gms) – chopped into bite-sized florets
Onions 2, thinly sliced
Green Chilli 3 chillies, slit
Curry Leaves 5-6
Garlic Paste 1tsp
Ginger Paste 1tsp
Oil for frying
Salt 1/2 + 1/2tsp (adjust according to taste)
Black Pepper 1tsp (coarsely ground)
Chilli Powder 1/4 tsp (coarsely ground)
Lemon Juice 1tsp
Tomato (optional) 1 firm tomato, sliced into 1/4inch slices, remove the seeds
Ginger 1inch – thinly sliced
Toppings – Coriander leaves , Sprinkle of ground pepper
- Frying the cauliflower –
– Add 1/2tsp salt to the chopped cauliflower florets and mix.
– Heat 2/3 inches of cooking oil in a heavy bottom wok or pot.
– Fry the cauliflower in batches, get the florets nice and golden brown. Place them on a plate with kitchen paper, to drain the excess oil.
- Now heat one tbsp oil in a pan. Add in the slit green chillies and thinly sliced onion and fry till the onion turns translucent.
- Add in the curry leaves, ginger and garlic paste, pepper, chilli powder, 1/2tsp salt (to taste), water and lemon juice. Mix well and fry for a minute.
- Add the fried cauliflower, mix well, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the sliced tomato, if using, and the sliced ginger and cook for another minute just enough to soften the tomatoes a little.
- Taste test and adjust the salt if needed.
- Garnish with some fresh coriander leaves and a sprinkle of freshly ground pepper.