Chicken 500-600gms chicken, chopped in your preferable way
Onion 1 cup, finely chopped (helps with the texture)
Oil 3 tbsp
Ginger paste 1 tsp
Garlic Paste 1 tsp
Tomato Puree 3 tbsp
Thick Yoghurt 3 tbsp
Green cardamom 4
Star Anise 2 petals
Cinnamon 2inch piece
Nutmeg a pinch
Bay Leaf 1 leaf
Kasuri Methi 1 tsp
Red chilli powder 1 tsp (Kashmiri red chilli preferable)
Salt 1 tsp + to taste
Toppings – Coriander leaves, Sprinkle of garam masala
- Heat 3tbsp oil in a heavy bottom wok/pot.
- Add the chopped onion, cloves, cardamom, star anise, cinnamon, nutmeg and bay leaf. Fry till the onion is transparent.
- Add in the kasoori methi, ginger paste, garlic paste and red chilli powder and 2tsp of water. Fry for 2mins till everything is mixed.
- Add the tomato puree and fry it until the oil separates.
- Add the yoghurt and fry for a minute.
- Now add the chopped chicken pieces and 1tsp salt (or more to taste). Mix well and fry the chicken till it changes colour from the outside and the oil separates in the curry. (Note – You don’t want to fully cook your chicken yet, it will cook with the curry.)
- Add the water and simmer on low heat until the chicken is cooked. (The time for this step will depend on the size of your chicken pieces)
- Add the cashew paste and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Taste test and adjust the salt if needed.
- Garnish with some fresh coriander leaves and a sprinkle of garam masala. Serve Hot!